The German city of Hamburg has an awful lot going for it, and as many tourists will testify, the city has untold treasures waiting to be discovered. Although the city has a distinct financial history, Hamburg is also a cultural centre with many interesting buildings, museums and art galleries, and fabulous restaurants. If you have never had the pleasure of visiting this amazing city, here are a few reasons why you should.
- Cheap Flights – There are affordable flights from Bristol to Hamburg with BMI, along with many other European destinations available, and if you are prepared to go at a moment’s notice, there are some amazing deals to be found. Most major European cities are included in their schedule, and you can be sampling the delights of Hamburg within a few hours of departing the UK.
- Fairs and Festivals – Hamburg hosts several major festivals throughout the year, with the Hamburger DOM, which is Northern Germany’s biggest fun fair and is held three times per year. The Hamburg Gay Pride Festival is a street event that celebrates transgender, gay, and lesbian relationships, and has been running since 1980. There are several Pride festivals throughout the year, each with its own particular flavour, and then there is the Hamburg Film Festival, a must for avid movie fans.
- English Culture – Hamburg has its own English speaking community, with several clubs and associations connected to the British way of life, so you won’t feel too much out of place, as in these areas, English is freely used. The American and British Clubs are both popular venues for the many expatriates that live in Hamburg, and they always welcome English speaking guests.
- The Reeperbahn – This is the red light district of Hamburg and there are many strip clubs, brothels and quaint bars where you can enjoy a lively evening of entertainment. This area of the city is the largest such district in Europe and many tourists flock there during the late evenings and early mornings. Well worth a visit, even if only for curiosity and to sample some of the fine beers they produce. No visit to Hamburg would be complete without an evening spent walking around the Reeperbahn, and the locals are very friendly.
- Open Top Bus Tours – Hamburg has certainly nailed the process of sightseeing, with many open air double decker buses that give you a unique insight into the way of life and stunning architecture that can only be found in this port city. Hamburg has one of the most efficient public transport systems in Europe, and one ticket can give you access to a range of transportation, which allows for convenient access to any part of the city.
Hamburg is one of the most visited of all German cities and with so much on offer, it is easy to understand why. The range of cuisines means that you will always find something you like, and there is also a range of Asian and Indian restaurants dotted around the city.